Are we there yet? Can you imagine traveling 12 days to go activate the #5 DXCC entity that hasn’t been activated for 19 years? The VK0EK and crew of the Braveheart sure can!
The wind is calm for that part of the world, and they are no doubt using the Laurens Penninsula and Anzac peak as a sort of shelter. The wind seems to be coming in from the South(ish).
The swells are coming in from the Northwest.
The weather forecast looks good to land and deploy. Fingers crossed. I expect to get a flurry of information from the team shortly and will post. I wouldn’t be surprised if they take shelter off shore tonight and set up tomorrow – that was the plan indicated by Bob, KK6EK yesterday.
It is a few hours away from sunrise here near San Francisco, and being 12 hours ahead – its Tuesday late afternoon, early evening at Heard Island. The plan is that they will start getting their gear ready for an early morning deployment and then take all day to set everything up. We could see them on the air in about 24 hours – but now the plan happens in whatever SAFE manner that it will. The better they do the setup now – the more likely everything will stay up and running. They will get some snow during their stay, and also high winds – and lots of fog, mist and rain. But keep doing the “sun dance” that you have been doing – it seems to be working.